Our new motto seem to be "when faced with adversity, brace yourself and then just embrace it."

When Steve took his new job "in town," we hypothetically discussed bringing the kids into the city once a month. It sounded like a good idea in theory and wouldn't it be wonderful to share the culture and buzz of Boston with these short people?

On Friday, we did the unthinkable. We actually followed through on our plans. I raced through my day, packed a backpack (forgot to bring diapers and had to "borrow" from school), grabbed the kids at school where they practically jumped on me with cheers for "choo choo!", and we somehow made the train to the city at 4:20pm. Two kids with huge grins when the train started moving, sharing an apple, giggling at or hiding from well meaning strangers. The conductor was kind and gave them each a special ticket. The price of this experience was a measly $5.75. They shared a coloring book, reaching behind them into a ziploc of crayons hastily tossed together by a smart mom who brought TWO of each color. The things we learn over time. Caroline's excitement waned as we approached the city dramatically tardy due to a "track issue." Thanks MBTA.

We jumped from the train, passing people headed down the platform for trains home and amid that crowd was their father. When I felt we were at a close enough distance that one of them wouldn't end up in the gap between platform and train, I released them and there on the platform at South Station two kids raced to their father like they hadn't seen him in weeks. You know what, those downtrodden commuters smiled ear to ear. It was a sweet sight.

We stopped at Daddy's new office where Connor ironically played with the "easy button" on Steve's desk. We waved to Auntie K's office across the street. We walked along the Harborwalk by way of the Boston Harbor Hotel Rotunda, enormous flag flapping in the warm breeze. The kids screamed at the boats, waved to ducks, and took it all in. Connor rode on my shoulders and I had to hold his hands because he was leaning backwards to look straight up. Hooray, they were old enough! It was going to be worth it! PHEW!

We paused often and though this city was home to us both for so long so long ago, we DID feel like tourists and that was okay. We were seeing the city for the first time through them and it was so beautiful. We had planned to walk to the North End from South Station, a lengthy walk, but doable. After a long pause outside the Aquarium to peek on the seals, we doubted the kids' abilities to make it to the North End and to potentially wait for a table as time had ticked away rapidly on our pleasant walk. While we debated what to do, Connor chased pigeons, screaming fearlessly after them with a gusto we rarely see outside of home and familiarity. We did what any sensible family would do and treated the kids to Legal Seafood across from the Aquarium. Luckily, it was family friendly and they could seat us immediately. It might have been the best lobster roll ever because I shared it there with them, literally.

Of course, the evening ended with ice cream and another visit to the seals. We debated the train or a taxi back to Steve's car, but the kids made it. One made it all the way back to the train station down the street from our house where my car sat patiently waiting. Thank goodness, Connor had been asking me since we got on the train "where car go?", and there it was. Seeing as how HE was still wide awake, he accompanied me home. It was easier to rebuckle him into a new car than try driving seperately and have his screams of "Where Mommy go???" wake his snoring sister.

Was it worth it? Yes. Will we do it again? Absolutely. The Children's Museum has $1 Friday Nights. Sounds like a good idea for a April.

1 comment: